Wednesday 17 August 2011

A healthy self image

Germans truly have a healthy self image.

Today was Schwimbad day.  The weather was hot, the sun was shining so off to the Freibad (outdoor pool) we go!

Here I am fretting the whole way there. Should I wear my two piece or my one piece?  I have just spent nearly 2 weeks in the land of chocolate, cheese, sausages and beer!  Needless to say, it's showing around the midline just a tad.  :P  But, on the way I make a decision.  I am on vacation dammit!  AND...no one knows me here.  I shall wear the 2 piece!

Out of the changing room I walk, full of a loathing self image and trepidation only to come face to face with a women in her late 60's....shall we say looking "well fed"....wearing a two piece!  Ha!  Can we say absolute freedom!

Now, there are positives and negatives. Also lounging about was a rather rotund man in his 40's wearing a speedo!  More than and eyefull I can tell you!  But also walking about were people of various shapes and sizes.  No one was staring (except perhaps me).....no one was commenting.  It was such a beautiful thing to see coming from a body conscious society such as mine.  Really, what is the big deal??  We are who we are, made how we are made and we should embrace it and strut around proudly.

Today the sun was shining on my being......and IN my being!

GermanG

No comments:

Post a Comment