Friday 19 August 2011

Water, cool clean water!

Water is something that North Americans take for granted.  I have especially realized this on my trip to Europe.

I have to say miss tap water!  In Germany when you go out to eat and ask for water, you get a bottle of it, usually sparkling and you have to pay for it.  You can ask for tap water.......but you don't usually get it, or you have to fight to get some. I am told that if you insist they must give it to you but it is something that is frowned upon and if you are a frugal travellor it is something that adds Euros to your eating bill each an every time you go out.  I figure if I am going to pay 1,90€ for a glass of sparkling water, then I am going to jack it up to 2,90€ and have a decent glass of beer!

Europeans have to pay for their water.  They shower and rarely bath. When they shower they get wet, turn the tap off, lather up and clean necessary body parts, then turn the water back on to rinse off.  It's actually not a bad idea in the environmentally conscious society we live in!  But, we don't.  We waste the water standing under it for hours or bathing in it each and every day.  I confess....I have missed my nightly baths!

So, when I return to Canada I am going to try a little harder not take the water for granted and enjoy each and every free glass I drink.  I'll conserve in the shower and perhaps take a few less baths a week.

When you stop and think about it, saving the earth is best done one person at a time.  If each and every person recycled, used less water or walked a little more, the earth would be a greener place

I'll do my part.......what will you do?

GermanG

No comments:

Post a Comment